Thursday, July 13

First Piece

I am a trying hard and frustrated writer. I just attempt to write about anything. The attempt reached to umpteen times, but had only the guts recently to publish on our Office Circulation, Express Yourself section. Read on... and let me know what you think. =D


When I Grow Up, I want to be
Date Posted: 7/11/2006 11:05:55 AM
Author: Hotlips

How many of us are in the path that we really want, career-wise or otherwise? How many of us have achieved the goals that we dreamt of when we were no less than toothless, bothersome and inquisitive kids?


I would be happy for you, if you are on the right track, a street that you dearly see yourself walking on. Because I, among the many, have been for almost seven years of my working life, traveling on the street that I barely know and comprehend even after graduation in high school.

When I was a kid, I dreamt of being a writer. I can’t remember who my inspirations were but at a young age, I unconsciously honed my skills by reading a lot, talking endlessly while awake and at some point by writing.

But perhaps, my convictions and inclinations to those fields weren’t that intense that after high school, I fancied taking up Mechanical Engineering. Way too far from my “when-I-grow-up-I-want-to-be” pledge.

Four years later, I marched with my head high, alongside my proud parents among the eager graduates of BS Accountancy. What a twist of fate! Yeah, I enrolled to my course blind-folded. I didn’t even know then what job I would get after graduation. I was just often told that it was the most lucrative and practical program of my time. Yet, it was then for me to find out.

Sure thing, I quickly got a job related to my program. Time and events unfolded and I found myself propelled from one function to another in Finance Division.

I am happy and fairly challenged of what I do now. I am able to do things that I love doing and somehow have a “balanced life” that everybody is striving to have.

In the attempt to balance my life, sparing time for entertainment and leisure is a must. I then recounted stuff that I fondly do. I awakened the lurking desire to be a writer…a desire that has been deeply buried to the recesses of my mind and heart.

Is it now too late to embark on that new career? I reckon, no! Inspirations are over-flowing. I am married to a frustrated writer who has a knack for poetry. I suppose we will make a good tandem in the future. A leader cum friend (you know who you are) has been gently encouraging me to join the Toastmasters or write a piece for Connections, and this is it, for a start!

I am not saying that I will leave my current job to focus on my “first love.” I am just thriving to spare a time to make my little dream come to life even in an austere way. At the end of the day, it is always the things that you do, which makes you happy that counts.

Now, I have more reasons to be happy and thankful. It is a great relief to free a somewhat “caged” part of me.

6 comments:

dangkin said...

now that you've got it started, keep it going!

:-)

Ers said...

yeah. i have big dream for myself.. being a successful writer someday.. hehehe! not too grand hey! =D

Brooks said...

It's about time you were breaking out. They say it's never too late and when you have an itch to be creative you just have to give in to that yearning or live with regrets and frustration. You write well and I encourage you to write whether you feel like it or not.

Ers said...

Thanks, Brooks.

I am into reading, reading and reading now to develop my vocabulary.

Thanks for this piece. "You write well and I encourage you to write whether you feel like it or not."

I just got so lax sometimes, I should be giving myself a slap on my behind. lol

Anonymous said...

good piece....you are a writer indeed...

Ers said...

thanks rol, for the vote of confidence.

i want to write more but could not find a subject. i want to focus more on huma experiences. i need more research.