Thursday, May 24

A Physical Game and Victory

Maroons (Queensland) got the 1st NRL State of the Origin last night against Blues (New South Wales). It is the best of three series and if Maroon will win again next week, it'll be over. I don't really want it to be over too soon as I like watching the physical game but Maroon bagging up the title again this year would be a different story.

Maroon's first TRY
In last night's game, Maroon got the first try and converted (scored 6) it then the Blues made a series of 3 tries converting the two plus a kick for the penalty (scored 18) in the first half. During this time, I dont want to watch the game anymore as I am disheartened by the Maroon's performance. I suggested to MCJ to play games in the tube while listening to the game. Btw, we got this cool telly gadget that enables us to play while watching TV programs but that's a different story. But when the commentator said that, in history Maroons had been losing in the first half and yet bring home the bacon 10 times and the Blues only 5, I glued back my eyes to the box. :D And indeed, they did it for the 11 times! Maroons made another 3 tries, converted them and 1 field goals.. giving them a total score of 25.

NRL is really not a good game to watch for faint hearted and those who abhor physical contact. Bleeding nose, broken lips or brows, turn ankles, scratches and what-have-yous are common sights in this game. It is a kind of football that kicking is only done after a try for conversion, making field goals or after the 5th tackle. A very physical game where players don't wear pads and the only compulsory protection is for the mouth, though some wear head protection. Tackling a person holding the ball can be made by more than 1 player of the opponent by pinning him down, dragging him back to the team area, dragging him to the sideline or any physical contact to attempt to steal the ball. It is funny sometime though that players dive to the try line... as in literally dive and I think, sometimes hurting themselves. I wonder, what it is for. Maybe for a show... it makes a try dramatic.

You ask why do I like to watch this game? Because the rules are easy to understand... before coming in the land down under, this game is very alien to me. There are 4 kinds of football games played here and for a "becoming sports fanatic", they are sometimes confusing... can't avoid to interchange the rules. Familiarizing myself with the umpires' call and actually understanding the actions of the players are a pain but I am getting there!

0 comments: