Sunday, May 20

The Wilds and The Killer

One of the favorite wild birds that we are feeding in our back yard had been missing.

The bandicoot that has been feeding the birds left-over in the backyard is not visiting us at night.

I can smell dead rat in the garden.

And yes, it was not only dead mouse but a dead sugar glider as well that I found in the garden yesterday while watering the plants.

And the culprit was? None other than our first baby! Lucky!

Our Lucky is not an in-house cat because for one, I don't like pets littering around the house and two, he has enough space to run around and play (by himself) outside. I know he had been picking on the wilds hence, we are now buying him chicken necks instead of mince meat so he can sharpen his paw on his food rather than on the becoming extinct wilds. That's the best that we can do to help preserve nature because Lucky doesn't want to stay inside the house unless there's storm or is simply raining and he needs warm bed. And living close to the bush and with the massive jungle of the next door neighbor, our place have been a habitat for these wilds. Just name it, koalas, different species of wild birds, bandicoots, sugar gliders, possums, snakes... except kangaroo maybe (I haven't spotted one in our backyard yet).

And speaking of snakes... there was a carpet snake (python) in the seedlings house this morning. A fairly long snake, I would say. And MCJ (Hubs) just left it there coiling. It's not poisonous though, so no worries except that it'll give you a fright if you happen to spot it surprisingly somewhere.

I really admire Aussies for their love of nature and the wilds that they don't have the first instinct of killing snakes once they see them unlike what I know of in our province in the Philippines. Well, most Aussies know what are those poisonous ones so they're selective in killing them.

And being a Pinay, I am getting used to seeing snakes... not that they don't give me a fright. I just don't come near them and my ears are very particular of the hissing sound when I'm walking in the garden.

0 comments: